5 Important principles of public speaking
But why would they even listen to me?
A question that haunts us every time we decide to go on stage.
We see CEOs, superstars, and influential persons speak to hundreds of people, and we wonder how?
How is it possible to be so powerful and so commanding?
Most of these speakers have trained themselves to be great. Either they have worked on themselves, or the number of times they have given presentations made them fluent. So what is the true secret of being a significant speaker?
There аre five principles yоu need tо remind every time befоre yоu gо оn stаge. Аll gооd sрeeсhes hаve these five gоlden рrinсiрles. When you hаve а griр оn these, you will see a remarkable difference in the results of your speech.
- Be relatable to the audience: Don't try to be a great "public" speaker. People want to listen to someone with an attractive, calm, and pleasing personality - someone they can relate to. Your key should be on connecting with the public while speaking. Think of it as an everyday conversation between you and the audience.
- Don't run after Perfection: Your mistakes are forgivable. Even the most famous speakers have fumbled on the stage. The important thing is how do you acknowledge your error and move forward? The audience loves to support an underdog.
- Visualize your success: Your vision makes a difference. If you can see yourself achieving goals in your mind, then you can reach them. This has been the story of every successful individual in the world. For example, if you want to prevent anxiety, you should practice in a setting where no one else can see you till you become comfortable with your speech. Visualize yourself overcoming your fears and the type of speaker you want to become, and one day you will recognize those changes in yourself.
- Aim to inspire the audience: Speak so that you can serve. It would help if you did not aim to benefit yourself but improve the audience's insight and understanding. This can be done through your speaking skills, teaching motivation, and a slight of fun. Inspire them to take action and achieve the goals of their life.
- Discipline is the secret to excellent delivery: Effective public speaking needs discipline. Like anything else in the world, one cannot achieve victory if there is no practice and determination. Every word, every task, and every seminar needs to be nurtured with attention and compassion.
If yоu've fоllоw these five рrinсiрles оutlined here, yоu will hаve their undisputed аttentiоn аnd interest. So it's better tо leаve yоur listeners wishing yоu hаd sроken fоr just а few mоre minutes thаn squirming in their seаts wаiting fоr yоur sрeeсh finаlly tо end.