5 ideas on how to decline social invitations
An invitation is a medium to express gratitude and belonging to a particular person. It is always sent because they want you to be a part of their life events and value your company, but sometimes you can’t accept the invitation.
It is alright to decline an invitation if you’re unable to attend it. You’ve probably even sent invitations to people who had to turn you down. Likewise, it’s okay not to want to accept every social invitation that comes your way, but you should not ignore it. Instead, it would be best to let the person know whether or not you can accept the invitation as soon as possible and in a polite manner.
Do you struggle with how to decline an invitation without causing any conflict or without hurting someone? There are ways you can decline an invitation; the key is to let the person know whether or not you can accept their invitation.
Here are some ideas on how you can decline social invitations easily:
- Write an email or message: Write an email or message to the host and let him know that you will be unable to accept the invitation.
- Make a personal call: If the sender is your close friend or family member, the call is another good option. It will show your sincerity and respect for the person who has invited you. Be as direct and honest as possible. Thanks to the person and let the host know that you’re honored with the invitation.
- Send them a gift or card: If you decline the social invitation, go ahead and send a gift or something they like, attached with a card. Mention something about wishing them and catching with them soon. It is polite to send a gift or card anyway.
- Remember, the main thing while declining a social invitation is to be polite. Show your respect to the host and use these ideas to make sure everything goes smoothly next time you decline any social invitation.
- Be thankful to the host and let him know that you appreciate the invitation even if you decline it later. Be honest, don’t come up with false excuses in detail. Make it short and straightforward.