10 quick tips to improve your vocabulary instantly
Improving your vocabulary might seem like a difficult task at first, but there is something that can help you master the skill, and that is – Practice.
Since vocabulary plays a crucial role in defining your hold over the language, it is important that you pay attention to it.
Only when you have a good vocabulary, you'll be aware of the appropriate words to put forward your thoughts and ideas with clarity and effectiveness.
10 ways in which you can instantly improve your vocabulary instantly are-
- Read- Reading is the fastest way you can adopt to enhance your vocabulary. Try to read things from different genres to come across a variety of words and to learn their usage.
- Lookup the meanings- Whenever you come across a new word, don't let it slide. Please pick up your dictionary and look for its purpose. If you look up the meaning immediately, you will also know how to use it in a particular context.
- Make Sentences- Once you learn a new word and its meaning, try to make as many sentences with it as possible. Try to use it in different manners and different contexts.
- Maintain a Journal- Make it a routine to write something in the journal before going to bed at night. It can be something as simple as how your day was or something that you are grateful for.
- Play Crossword and Scrabble- Crossword and Scrabble are two of many games that can boost your language learning process. As these games deal with playing with words, they help a great deal in strengthening your vocabulary.
- Watch videos or movies with subtitles- Watching video content in the English language with subtitles will not only make you come across new words, but their visual representation will also help you in memorizing them easily.
- Listen to podcasts- Listening to podcasts is an activity that you can do even while doing household chores. Additionally, when you listen to a podcast of your interested field, it enhances your knowledge of that field and your language skills.
- Network with native people of English-speaking countries- There cannot be a better way to learn a language than to network with the native people speaking the language. As you converse with them, it will slowly become a part of your routine, and you'd eventually get comfortable with the language.
- Practice - Learning is a process, and therefore, it cannot happen in one day. When you start practicing the new words in your everyday life, it becomes a part of your routine, and over time, you wouldn't have to put much effort into the learning part.
- Set Goals- In order to keep yourself motivated, set everyday learning goals. Set a definite word count every day and work towards achieving them.